Betty Parsons opens her gallery
In 1946, Betty Parsons opened her gallery at 15 East 57th Street in Manhattan.
In the immediate postwar years, Parsons represented Mark Rothko, Clyfford Still, Jackson Pollock, Barnett Newman, and Ad Reinhardt—most of the artists who would come to be known as the New York School. Then, in 1951, all but Reinhardt rose up in noisy insurrection. [...] The defectors' non-negotiable demand concerned something else: they wanted her to stop showing rich amateur women artists who were also her friends, and to concentrate on them alone. Parsons refused.
—Benita Eisler on Martin's 1993 profile at The New Yorker